Breastfeeding is awesome!

Today I thought I'd share a little on my experiences as a breastfeeding mother! I have successfully breastfed both of my children past the age of 12 months. The oldest went to 22 months, and Brodie, my baby is almost 18 months and showing no signs of weaning!

It's been an amazing experience, one that I wouldn't trade for anything else in the world! I've bonded with both my children, and have been able to give them something no one else can. It has also helped me to bond with my own mother who is also pro-breastfeeding. We live in such a small town far away from the hustle and bustle of city life, so if it wasn't for her I don't think I would have made it past the first few weeks either time! If you are or have breastfed then you know what I am talking about, those first 6-8 weeks can be so trying, but are so worth it if you can "tough" it out!

I honestly didn't think I was going to be able to nurse Brodie, he was born at 37 weeks 3 days due to severe pre-eclampsia, and was in the NICU for the first week of his life. He had a heart murmer and excessive fluid due to being a c-section birth. He was also a chunk weighing in at 10lbs 4.2oz! Anywho, He didn't eat anything for the first 3 days of his life, finally on day 4 they started allowing him to eat, but he wasn't allowed to nurse, they went against my wishes and gave him a bottle. Finally when he was able to come to my room, he wouldn't latch on, he only wanted the bottle, and I being exhausted both physically and emotionally caved and let him have it, swearing as soon as we got home he would only have the breast as I didn't own any bottles. They day we came home was the day my milk came in and the first time he finally latched on, and we've been going strong ever since!

I do hope that if we are blessed with another that I will be able to nurse him/her for as long as I have both my boys! It's truly an amazing experience and if you are able to do it, at least give it a try. I'm not trying to cram my beliefs down your throat, just throwing my experience out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment